Saturday, March 31, 2012

The Depiction of Marriage in Zora Neale Hurston's Stories


by Maurice Jackson 
Through research I was able to find many interesting facts about the relationship between African American men and women and how the institution of marriage has been viewed throughout history by these two groups. One of the major factors found to contribute to the frame work and roles within the intergender relationships of African Americans is the idea of patriarchy. Research has found that patriarchy affects the relationships of African Americans differently than those of Eurocentric relationships. In a historical view, it seems oppression has altered and distorted the gender roles within African American relationships and thus helps to provide context as to why the relationships are harder to interpret.  The oppression that has plagued African Americans since the days of slavery has contributed to the decrease in the role of provider while increasing the role of provider for African American women. In this this context it seems that African American women are more able to adopt a role of self-sustaining, and an increased ability to become independent. Another factor mentioned is the role of love within these relationships. An article published in the Journal of Black Studies argues that the historic hindrance placed upon the love that can be shared between an African American male and female is what the backdrop is for the love that is shared between them now, but the article also states that while slave breeding and other methods helped to sever the love bonds between African Americans it was still possible to find an African American couple who were truly in love with one another. Within a different article published in the Journal of American Literary History, the writer claims that while slavery did hurt the institution of family and marriage among African Americans it also strengthened their longing and desire to be with those who they loved and to be with their families.
 These findings are significant because they can show the backdrop for both of the Zora Neale Hurston stories that we read in class. The aspect of oppression is explored in the story “Sweat” in the form of the oppression dealt out by Sykes onto Delia. This is an extension of the oppression that Delia would have felt from the white community around her and a way for Sykes to bolster his masculinity after his oppression also from the white community. Also the independence that is displayed by Delia within this story shows the ability for African American women to adapt and be able to take care of themselves. The fact that Delia is the main provider for her family and that she was able to make the purchase of their home is an amazing feat at the time in the story is set. In the story “The Gilded Six-Bit” the love between Joe and Missie May is one of those that has transcended the bounds that had historically severed the bonds between man and woman during the days of slavery. These two characters are examples of a couple that were able to fall in love in a society where historically it was very difficult to fins and hold onto the one that you love. The story of the love between Joe and Missie May is also one that supports the idea of the longing for love that was felt within the African American community in this time period and the longing to have an intact nuclear family. This desire was strong enough for Joe to forgive Missie’s infidelities and remain with her after the birth of their son.
After learning more about the historic context of marriage and family relationships, does this information alter your perception of the stories in any manner?
Work Cited
duCille, Ann. "Marriage, Family, And Other "Peculiar Institutions" In African-American Literary History." American Literary History 21.3 (2009): 604-617. Academic Search Complete. Web. 28 Mar. 2012.
Lawrence-Webb, Claudia, Melissa Littlefield, and Joshua N. Okundaye. "African American Intergender Relationships: A Theoretical Exploration of Roles, Patriarchy, and Love." Journal of Black Studies 34.5 (2004): 623-39. JSTOR. Sage Publications, Inc. Web. 28 Mar. 2012.

14 comments:

  1. After reading your article I would definitely say that my view has been altered slightly for both of Hurston’s stories. Originally I had just thought of societies influence on the main characters of both stories from just that time period. Hurston made it very clear that white and black societies were operating apart from each other due to their beliefs, but I did not look to why those belifes were there in the first place. Knowing this does open the door to more interpretation of the stories, especially how strong the roles of African American women were compared to men. As you said this does reveal the power of Delia, and it even explains why Missie May decided to stay with her husband despite being ashamed of what she did. In Missie May’s case leaving was not an option, not only did she still love her husband, but she still had a household to care for. Your observations were really great, and definitely got me thinking on the meanings behind Hurston's short stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After reading this post I can safely say I have a new perception on the role of both African men and women in this time period. I never thought about the impact whites would have on undermining the masculinity of black males. The treatment in which black males received from whites ultimately resulted in violence towards their wives. I had never thought about this aspect of slavery and how the so called family would be affected by it. I also never realized the forcefulness of relationships between African Americans at this time. When reading Hurston’s short stories, I figured Delia’s relationship with her husband was a mutual one, when in reality she might have been emotionally unhappy. With this knowledge, I can now better understand the complicity of relationships at this time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After reading this blog, I am able to think about Hurston's stories and the topics of love and marriage in a new light. I did not consider the oppression of the black culture as having such a strong influence over family and marriage dynamics. I now have a much bigger picture of how history and slavery ties into the topics and events of Hurston's stories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. After reading this blog my perception of the stories did not change all that much. I knew that in both stories the women were depicted as strong, independent,and hard working. they had to be or else they would make no money. Their work ethics were both strong. However, I am surprised to read that slave breeding brought some of the families together and not apart. I guess it's hard to understand because the times are completely different, but if my husband was forced to have sex with someone else, I don't know if I would be able to look at him the same. Maybe that's why the women had to be so strong!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to always think about how awful it must have been for African American families when they were torn apart from each other, never to see each other again during slavery. Until this blog, I never thought about what impact this had on African American concepts and their take on family.
    A bit off topic, but as for the mention role of the provider,I thought abou this small statue my older sister has in her house that is from Africa. It's sort of abstract and it's two bodies that kind of connect with one another, one supporting the other and the one kind of nurturing the other. I asked my sister what it was and she told me it was a male, the provider, and the female, the nurturer.
    I think these women were all depicted as strong, independent women in their different ways, and Hurston does a good job trying to depict that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. First off, I think this blog is extremely well written and insightful. This story really opened my eyes to what marriage was and actually how difficult things were for the african american community in that time period. I think towards the end of "The Gilded Six Bits" there was one line that just really struck me, when the white cashier said something along the lines of "those blacks are always happy, they have not a problem in the world" This really showed the readers how ignorant the white community was to the problems doing on, and how similar their problems actually were.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really appreciate you opening my mind to the history of African American relationships of that era and over time. It's an aspect I never took into account when reading the story and now that I am able to consider it, it helps me better appreciate what the characters did to either end their relationship or make their marriage last. It also gave me a better chance to compare the two stories and relationships which I don't think I full examined before reading this article.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never realized that slavery affected marriage and the love that African Americans feel for each other. After reading your blog i have a new found respect for Delia. Knowing that she had to face all of the obstacles she did and she succeeeded and made a good life for herself is very admirable.In "The Gilded Six-Bit," I now understand why he wanted to stay with her. He was truely in love with her and wanted to make it work. I really liked your blog it opened my mind and allowed me to better understand African American history.

    ReplyDelete
  9. After reading your blog I realize the way I looked into Hurston's stories was with an ignorant point of view because I had no idea about the information you have brought to the table. With this in mind I now look back at the two stories with a different point of view and greater knowledge of how marriage played a role in this time period.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The article deffinately made me change my perception on both stories. I had no idea about the historical factors, such as slavery, that went into these stories. From my initial view I just assumed Delia did what was necessary for her to survive by taking over normal "man" jobs like buying her own house, after reading this insightful blog I realized that I wasnt looking at all the factors that went into Delia having to take on extra responsibilities. This gave me an even more positive outlook on her

    ReplyDelete
  11. After reading this post, I agree with most everyone else in the sense that I can better appreciate the characters in "The Gilded Six-Bit" because of the struggles they were able to over come as a couple. I did not realize that there was such a struggle for African Americans to sustain a good marriage in that time period. I was also very appreciative of Delia's efforts to save up enough money on her own to purchase a house, especially since she was a slave and earning very little money for the work that she did.

    ReplyDelete
  12. After reading this post I honestly began to see the obvious likeness between the two stories discussed in class. I had never know that relationships, love, and marriage was in that state for African Americans during that time, and to have it explained in this way, makes it easier on me to make a lot more of my own connections. It makes me respect Delia more than I had before learning this, and it makes me admire Missy May and Joe's relationship a little bit more as well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. When I think of slavery, the effect it had on relationships and marriages never really came to my mind and after this I was able to look at Hurston's stories much different. I really found it interesting how this created roles and made the women stronger and more indepedent. This was a really well down post!

    ReplyDelete
  14. After reading the article, it creates a whole new meaning for me as I learn to appreciate what the characters in "The Gilded Six-Bits" went through. I was not aware that slavery played a factor in these stories, but I also find it very interesting that relationships and being in love had such an effect. I really like all of the aspects that you picked out while writing this paper.

    ReplyDelete